Updated: Jun 26, 2020
So you’ve collected works by your favorite artist and are ready to start decorating your home. But before you hammer and nail anything to the walls, why not go over all of your options first? We know (and love) how art can look amazing when hung up on a gallery wall. we tracked down all the cool and alternative ways to spice up your art collection. Read on and get ready to decorate with these unique art display ideas that’ll have you saying “gallery wall, what?” in no time!
1. Hang it on a clothesline. There’s something so simple (and affordable) about hanging your favorite art prints on a clothesline. As your collection progresses, easily upgrade your decor by clothespinning something new.
2. Let it float. Simple floating shelves give plain walls a mountain of decorating opportunities. An eye-catching art display like this is so simple to pull off — just place framed pieces in scattering heights, and voilà!
3. Lean it on the floor. For that cool, laid-back look, lean art vertically against the wall. The undone effect gives your home a nonchalant, lived-in touch and is the perfect solution for renters who have to follow a “no nails” rule.
4. Utilize binder clips. If modern and minimal is your decor style, metallic binder clips are your decor bestie. The unexpectedly stylish office supplies make it easy to clip your favorite prints for an industrial-chic look.
5. Lean it on other frames. When your collection is brimming with new pieces, find creative ways to use what you have, including other framed works. Extra space can always be utilized, and those added pieces can give your display a super casual-cool vibe.
6. Make an art mobile. There are tons of ways to display art, but this one takes the cake for its cool DIY angle. With a branch and some string, you can create an art or photo mobile for a unique display that has a handmade touch and loads of personality.
7. Clip it together. To make switching out prints even easier, create a gallery or mood board of clipboards. Clipboards force you to keep your collection of prints organized and allow you to easily rotate your prints as your style or project changes.
8. Urban Outfitters Wire Wall Grid: It’s hard to keep collages from looking cluttered. Luckily, this wire wall grid from Urban Outfitters helps keep the clutter at bay. The simple metal wire gives collections a clean backdrop — perfect for organizing inspirational prints and photos.
9. Use skirt hangers. Not sure what to hang up? No problem. Skirt hangers give you the flexibility of switching things up as your art collection evolves. Plus, you can paint skirt hangers in a variety of colors to match your decor.
10. Make an artful view. Make your art the room’s centerpiece by hanging it in front of a window. The unexpected placement will give your abode tons of personality and a cool new view.
11. Surround yourself with shelves of art. For a full-fledged art display, add lots of shelves behind the couch or in a reading nook. Lots of framed pieces in a limited color palette help give your bold showcase a unified look.
12. Use picture rail moldings. Traditional molding in your home actually creates an easy way to hang up art. Simply hook a picture or gallery rod to hang up framed pieces for a vintage-inspired display.
How do you decorate your walls? Share your favorite ideas!
And check our online shop for limited edition fine art photography prints and enjoy our monthly SALE